2015 saw judging of the Welsh product entries in the annual UK Great Taste Awards take place for the first time in Wales, at Cardiff’s St. David’s Hotel in June. Equinox was commissioned by the Welsh Government to generate Wales-wide coverage around the judging to kick start the Awards PR campaign in Wales as well as support publicity and events around the Welsh winners later in 2015.
- Awards launch (June 2015): we developed and delivered the following tactics to maximise media coverage and public awareness around the Awards judging coming to Wales:
- Bi-lingual national press, online & broadcast media launch during judging week with head judge, Charles Campion; Great Taste Awards originator, John Farrand and Deputy Minister for Farming and Food, Rebecca Evans AM as spokes persons
- Bi-lingual regional press releases & local Award entry / previous winner case studies to maximise further coverage across Wales during judging week
- Bi-lingual social media schedules & bespoke case study video supplied to Welsh Government for issue over the campaign Twitter pages during judging week
- Hospitality events including a Welsh producer showcase and beer tasting social for 25 Great Taste judges and local media at Cardiff’s Urban Tap House and Welcome dinner and large-scale producer showcase, hosted by Deputy Minister, Rebecca Evans AM, at Llanerch Vineyard on 3 June for 45 Great Taste judges and national and local retail and wholesale buyers
Across judging week in June 2015:
- 2m people reached across Wales through national online media coverage
- 53 minutes of bi-lingual national broadcast TV and radio coverage (BBC news; ITV news; Newyddion; Radio Cymru; Good Morning Wales)
- 6m people in total reached across Wales with campaign messages
- Over 200 people engaged with tweets on #foodanddrinkwales and #bwydadiodcymru through re-tweets and ‘favourites’
- 128 views achieved for launch video on Welsh Government Youtube in first four days
Next steps in this campaign will be Equinox management of media relations around the 2015 Welsh winners in August followed by media relations coverage around September national UK Awards and overall Welsh Golden Fork winner as well as coverage from the November Welsh Award winning producer showcase at the Pierhead Building in Cardiff Bay.